Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Bad Vintage or Poor Storage


2000 Finca Luzon, Altos de Luzon, Jumilla ($17) -- Monastrell/Cabernet Sauvignon/Tempranillo (50/25/25) from Jorge Ordonez. I loved the 2002, have not tasted the 2001, and missed out on getting any of the 400 cases of 2003 as they blew through the warehouse last week in an hour after the Wine Spectator #44 rating.

I stumbled on this orphan in Hyde Park as a mark down (I think from the current vintage price of $20) and took it home to test.

The cork was slightly wine stained on the outside third, while the tip was only slightly saturated suggesting that maybe some heated storage conditions. Upon opening, the nose was a subdued earthy aroma with a muted fruit flavor and disjointed, slightly astringent, tannins and a short finish.

I hoped that after an hour it would improve, but rather it declined.

So, here are my questions:
  • Would three years of warm, 72 plus degrees storage conditions in a retail shop affect the quality of the wine?
  • Or is this just a dumb phase, the wine and not me?
  • Would you buy a 1997 DRC Montrachet for $1,000 from the same store? (I felt privledged to be able to hold it and roll it around in my hands as this is supposedly a pretty rare specimen as only 200 cases were produced!)
  • Does your car get good gas mileage?

The answers are below:

(YES, MAYBE, NO, NOT ANYMORE!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home