Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Joseph Phelps Innisfree

2002 Joseph Phelps Innisfree Cabernet Sauvignon ($20) -- Napa Valley; I received this in my wine exchange program with fellow blogger Jerry Hall at winewaves. I have not seen this wine in the Ohio market but I read in Jerry's review that it is a special bottling for large independent retailers.

On first opening it was a bit tight and had a nuance of what I thought was cork, but after an hour that blew off and then it had full dark fruit aromatics and strong berry, and a little rasperry, flavors with firm tannins and a medium finish.

Besides Jerry's review I couldn't find anything about this special bottling but enjoyed the wine at dinner tonight. Even the Joseph Phelps site doesn't mention this wine. (Phelps makes the much acclaimed Insignia for about $125 to $150 depending on vintages. I have seen cases at Sam's Club recently and last year was treated to a bottle of the 1997 that was massive with loads of tannins and needed at least 5 more years to settle down.)

Let's keep this "wine exchange program" going! (Actually it's an "olive oil exchange program" due to the still sketchy shipping issues with UPS, FedEx and the USPO!)

Wine tag; I'm it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home