Monday, January 23, 2006

Gum Bear

2004 Gum Bear, Limestone Coast Cabernet Shiraz Merlot ($10 -$12) -- Australia between Adelaide and Melbourne which includes Coonawarra. A 50%/25%/25% blend. The bottle shot is the 2005 Sauvignon Blanc but you can see the gum bear. I have it on good authority that this wine has nothing to do with "gummy bears" or "gummy worms".

Right off I do not like cute animals on the label so this sample sat for a few weeks before I tasted it. But when I opened tonight I was impressed with the full fruit flavors, balance and medium finish. Damn, I hate to admit that I like this wine. Lose the label and I am all over it. The website production notes for Australia don't include the cute animal on the label so I am guessing that they must have been embarrassed also. After the [yellow tail] success I guess that Australian wineries think the US market requires cute animals. Note to Australia, stop with the cute animals. We like your wine but we are getting tired of the animals!

On a side note I read that there is an ocean of more good wine on the way due to the 2005 bumper crop in Australia. Can't wait!

For map lovers here is a map of the Coonawarra region.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home