Thursday, November 30, 2006

Modern Marvels -- Wine

I was just heading off to bed at midnight after taking in some shows on the History Channel about Dogfights and the latest harvesting machines on Modern Marvels, when the next topic was Wine, so I stuck around. It was a very accurate coverage of wine production which included pieces on Port, Champagne, Bronco Wines, Chateau Montelena, La Tour d'Argent's wine cellar and more. It is available on DVD and is appropriate for newbies and wine veterans.

Here is the teaser:

A glass a day is said to keep the doctor away. A defeated Napoleon drowned his sorrows in it; Thomas Jefferson became obsessed with it. Wine is an integral part of our culture and more wine is consumed today than ever before. Supermarket shelves that once carried only box wine and jugs are now lined with wines from Australia, Chile, and South Africa. Aerial imaging and infrared photography once used by NASA to map the moon is now employed by wineries to analyze soil, vine vigor, and even disease. Paying tribute to wine's unique history we will travel the world over to explore wineries, the worlds' most historic wine cellar and a legendary Paris restaurant.

Factoid: Did you know that the average bottle of Sparkling wine (Champagne) gives off 47 million bubbles when opened? Here is a stab at the math!

6 Comments:

Blogger jens at cincinnati wine said...

What I like about the History Channel shows is that they don't insult your intelligence like the Discovery Channel, which stretches 10 minutes of info over 30 minutes. I have a good memory and don't need to be told before and after every commercial break what will come next or what we just heard. The Wine piece will probably be screened again and is available for purchase sometime.

Like your site;

http://www.calwineries.com/blog

Very professional. Thanks for the comment.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Paul Wyatt said...

I enjoyed the whole program with two glasses of 1970 Fonseca. I found the images of automated bottling machinery very interesting. I must say I thought that I was a lot younger than that.
www.customcellar.com

5:59 PM  
Blogger jens at cincinnati wine said...

Thanks for the comments. I did like the piece on the custom cellars because in my dream house I will have a huge cellar. Right now I have a bookcase in my study, a 100 bottle eurocave at the shop and a few thousand bottles in the shop. The advantage of off-site storage is that you won't grab the really good bottles after a night of wine tasting!

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not catch this program, causse for some reason the TV company here is not carrying the history channel anymore. All in all, I hope to see it when I go to visit my grandmother, as I had her tape the show for me :).

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home